Saturday, July 5, 2008

Understanding calories...

I know that weight loss is calories consumed versus calories expended. Last night I found a formula in Fitness magazine that calculates how many calories you should consume to lose you desired weight. My came to 1600 calories...does that sound right? I have read some blogs were people eat around 1200...just wondering if anyone knows anything about this. As well I work out 5 days per week and burn approximately 600-700 calories per workout. Is this enough or do I need to do more because I'm not sure I can. That is 50 mins of cardio (25 min x two different machines) plus I work my abs and do some kind of weight training every day. My friends think my weight loss has stalled because of my weight training, "You're building muscle they say." My response is for 3 months?!

I've been inspired by you lot to post my weight online with a weekly weigh-in so I've decided my weigh in day is going to be Monday morning. Hopefully this will encourage me to stay on track with my eating on the weekends.

3 comments:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

That sounds about right. My formula works out to about 1500, then when I factor in the exercise, grows to 1700-2000 per day. I try to float between the 1500 and 1700, with occasional spikes to 1900.

Here's a good link for figuring it all out:
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Anonymous said...

This nutrition stuff can really be confusing...wish I could help in that area, but I would probably just make it worse.

Great idea posting your weight & stuff. I started my blog in Jan, and never posted my weight until just last month. Believe it or not, its been so much more motivating! The first time yout type it in is the hardest, but all those lower numbers that follow sure make it easier (and worth it)!!! Good Luck!

Alli said...

Formula schmormula... I think you have to create a unique deal just for you... calories in calories out just plain doesnt work in some cases. I think there are other factors as well like metabolic rate, hormones, etc.
Girl I say that same thing when people are like oh well you are probably just toning... Bullshit I am 300 lbs working out 6-7 hrs a week and I am JUST toning? I am going to be the heaviest size 8 in the world with that description. =) haha.
Hang in there... REad as much as you can pick the good parts... and figure out what really works for you. Its a long process but I think we can do it.