Wednesday, July 9, 2008

TADA...!

Ok so Monday was suppose to be my weigh in day BUT...I had hopped on the scale Sat for a preview and come Monday I was up 3lbs! WTF! But Tuesday came and I thought screw it, I'll get on again---251 lbs....down 4 lbs from Monday! I thought how crazy is that. Well that afternoon, I started my period...ah the crazy roller coaster of the scale, hormones, water retention and whatever else that is involved in this journey. So Tuesdays will be my official weigh in day. Hopefully next Tuesday we will see some progress.


On the fitness front, I've been working hard in the gym. 50 mins of cardio and 30-40 mins of strength training everyday. I'm trying to take advantage of my "free time" (being a teacher and all) because I know once I start back to work that I'll be limited to 60 min workouts again. I had an interesting encounter last Friday at the gym. While I was sweating it out on the elliptical and pushing myself hard, this lady walked by me. She was probably in her late 50s early 60s but she had the healthiest looking skin--it just glowed and I thought to myself if I could look life that at her age, I would be so lucky. Well when I went into the changing room later, that lady was just leaving the shower. She looked at me and said, "Wow, you had a great workout." I thought she meant because I was super red and drenched in sweat. I replied that I was working hard to break a plateau. She said, "Well I just admired how hard you were working. Have you tried running?" I said that I didn't think I was ready for that. She felt that by how quick I was on the elliptical that I should try running outside and recommended that I purchase "The Running Book" by John Stanton of the Running Room. I thought a lot about what she said and maybe I am ready to start running but I'm scared, what if I look like an idiot, what if I hurt myself. I need advice from my fellow bloggers who do run....how did you start? I did buy the book but you guys have been in the same position as me so I respect what y'all have to say. (Sorry Alli had to throw that in there, it's still part of my vocab since I lived in High Point, 9 years ago!)


One last bit of info for those interested...I've really been tracking every morsel of food that enters my lips via http://www.thedailyplate.com/ Thanks to one of my fellow bloggers for telling me about this site. I find it very encouraging to see immediately how many cals, fat, sodium, fiber etc...that I'm consuming and I feel very empowered. It also helps me see where I make misjudgements, so I highly recommend it to everyone interested in tracking calories.


The hubby will be home from Alberta tomorrow night and will be home until Monday afternoon--here's promising myself to stay on track despite his yucky eating habits.


Oh, oh, one more thing. Lately my knees have been killing me at night once I'm home. I thought it was the elliptical and maybe I would have to give it up but ALAS NO... I need new running shoes. This is what I've ordered but it will take 4-6 weeks for them to come in





Hopefully the knees won't give up....

4 comments:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

I'm not a runner, so I'm no help. It's so jarring to my knees. I do use the elliptical a lot though and challenge myself to 5k on it at least once per week. I'm thinking of going for a 10k sometime soon. We'll see. :)

Take care of that knee!

Big Girl said...

Thanks for sharing the link to the daily plate, sounds enlightening.

Good job on all your exercise. It must feel good (except for the knees) Hope the new shoes do the trick!

Carolyn said...

I'm in love with my Nike New Balance... great shoe. Hoping your's are just as good... they look like mine!

But as for running, I started when I was 230lbs. I started by running on a treadmill, 1minute walking for 2 minute, etc. I kept increasing running until I hit 5 mins... that's when I knew I coudl run. My friend runs long hauls all the time, and she said that noce you pass the first 5 mins, you're a runner. I bought a treadmill, and run every once in a while. I enjoy it mostly though... never tried outside. I did once, but it's SO MUCH HARDER.. so if you start outside, you'll do yourself a favor. And as for looking dumb, the only think I think of when I see ppl outside running is; wow, they're really working it! Wish I coud do that!

Alli said...

I am going to check out that daily plate site. I am still trying to figure out my next plan of action.
Take care of those knees girfriend!!