Monday, August 11, 2008

Lots to think about

This past week has been an emotional roller coaster for me. I could blame it on PMS but I think it has more to do with me struggling to find out who the "real" me is. Now I don't want to get all psychological on you and that sounds like such bullshit when I read it on the screen but it's true. I honestly feel like ALL my life has been spent trying to please other people. My career as a teacher is the only true thing that I feel I've done for me. And I love it and I'm so confident in my abilities to help youth. But the rest of my life feels chaotic, although I spend vast amounts of energy making it appear to others that I've got it all together. So I've been thinking alot about going to a counsellor for some clarity. I've been to a therapist once and I saw her three times but I didn't really click with her. WELL if I'm being honest, I wasn't willing at that time to be honest with her about my life. But in losing 40 lbs and being a fitter person, I want the inside of me to catch up with the outside me. But I'm scared of what therapy could lead to. Has anyone else turned to a therapist for help along this journey? Have you thought about it but decided against it? I need some advice :)

3 comments:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

We have counseling available through my work, and I'll probably take advantage of it at some point. I went once about 10 or so years ago, and it was *wonderful*. I don't know if I just lucked out and got a great counselor or what, but I really benefited from the experience. I only saw her three times, but each time I walked away with new insight and great tools to help me resolve the issues.

butterfly said...

I've thought about it, but then was so nervous at the idea of sitting with a complete stranger and pouring out my thoughts and feelings. I wouldn't know where to start and it just seemed so akward. I've turned to blogging and journaling as my own personal therapy and it's proved to be quite effective.

I've notice that a lot of people that have become overweight are those that put their own lives on the backburner for the sake of others. This includes myself. I've neglected myself for so long, and now finally I'm doing something for me.

You're not alone with your thoughts.

Good luck on a successful week, and think of YOU!

Alli said...

I went the first time I lost all my weight to deal with some issues similar to what you are describing. It was good for the first few sessions then we started getting into some hurtful memories and I just couldnt man up and deal. I quit going. I say try it out see if it works for you if now thats fine too. Hey its about doing whats right for YOU regardless of what others thing right... thats what you are going for in the first place so give it a whirl.
No harm.