Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm going to cry....

from all the SUPPORT you peeps have shown me! I'm going to keep the running in the 5K as my fitness goal for the next bit. Tonight was walk 90 secs, run 90 secs then run 3 mins, walk 3 mins, 2 times. I did it--I felt so proud and so happy when it was complete.

Anyways I don't know if the timing of the 5K is perfect but then one of my personal growth goals is how to deal with things that aren't perfect :( In the past I have just not attempted something if I thought I would fail and this has led to a couple of regrets for me. So this 5K will be something that I'm just going to have to develop the mindset that I'm doing it for my "personal best"...something our Canadian athletes talk about tonnes while at the Olympics--hahaha, especially when we had no medals. They are doing much better now:)

Another topic--how do any of you inspire yourselves to do the strength/resistance training? I have begun to do some form of free weight training every workout but I dread it so much. I know that the more training you do, the less cardio you need to do. Theoretically--muscles burns more calories than fat, so the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn...but I hate it. I think it's because:

1. I'm surrounded by bulging muscles and tattoos--why? what is the connection there?
2. I'm surrounded by mirrors--I have avoided full length mirrors for a VERY LONG time.
3. I'm not a co-ordinated person and feel clumsy with my movements--although this is improving...

So I need to know how you all get your motivation together for tackling the weights?

5 comments:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Oh, I hear you on the gym intimidation. I call the weight area at my gym 'Manville.'

My biggest problem when I started was that I didn't know exactly what it was I was supposed to *do*. That's why I hired a personal trainer to show me how to exercise in private. Now, I'd rather do free weights than anything else, and I'm not intimidated at the gym. (Still a little nervous, but I just focus on me and let everyone else fade away.)

Big Girl said...

Sorry, I can't help you w/ the weight trainig stuff. I'm just not there yet and hope to incorporate it in the routine sometime soon.

good luck!

elife said...

Wow, I am SO impressed with all your running!

As for weight training, I take 2 Body Pump classes a week. Any level can do it, and it covers all the major muscles in the body. Does your gym offer any kind of muscle definition classes? The classes tend to skew to women.

Another idea - a few personal training sessions will get you comfortable in the weights room.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi! I just found your blog. I have been lifting weights since I was 12! It is easy once you get the hang of it. Here are some tips:

#Don't let the fear of looking dumb stop you from making good changes for youself. Beleive me, the folks at the gym don't even think about you and if they do, they think, "Oh, cool, a person who wants to get fit and take care of their body."
#Start out slow. Get a book with illustrated guides to various routiens.
#Start out Easy. Don't push yourself if you just don't feel comfortable at the gym yet. You can do your routine at home with free weights. That might help you gain confidence so you can move to bigger and better things at the gym.
#Don't be afraid to make a mistake. Everyone does. But be sure that you do things in a safe way so you don't injure yourself!

Hope this helps,
Mimosa Faith
YourFriendInIreland.blogspot.com