Sunday, April 6, 2008

The dumb things I say...

Ok so I've been working away to my goal weight since September. I still have a long way to go but I'm happy so far. I'm not following any plan--just making good food choices and exercising. Exercise has always been the key to my success--that and steering clear of the ice cream aisle in the grocery store :) One thing that I have always hated is that other people feel the need to tell me what I should be eating and what I should not be eating. Because of this, I no longer eat lunch in the staffroom at work. I love the people I work with, and most of them are quite savvy when it comes to nutrition, but there is a tendency to pick apart everyone's lunch and I don't need the pressure.

Anyways on Saturday a friend of mine went with me to the gym and we had a great workout. Afterwards we were talking about making good food choices and I told her that I am hating salads these days. In fact I had made a salad for lunch that day and after 3 bites, I tossed it to the bin--I just couldn't eat it. She suggested varying the ingredients with chick peas or cottage cheese or even nuts and dried fruit for a change up. Later we went to the grocery store and she pointed out a particular namebrand dressing and asked if I ever had that with my salads because it was delicious. Well before I even knew it, I said to her "NO! Do you know how much fat is in that?!" The second the words left my mouth, I felt horrible. I felt like the nutrition police. Here's the kicker though, my friend is a wonderful, lovely woman who exercises daily, played university basketball and has great, great eating habits. She can eat what she wants without wondering if it will mess up her weekly weigh in because she doesn't weigh herself. ALL I can think about lately is, "If I eat this, will I regret it later?"

Regret....what has prompted me to start this weight loss journey... I regret not accepting the scholarship to Cambridge University because I worried how the "fat girl" would be accepted by the other students...I regret not wearing a beautiful white gown for my wedding because I worried that I could not find one to fit, instead I wore a green pantsuit that suited someone who was the age of 62, not 22, because it fit...I regret not having more pictures of me with my children because I hate seeing myself...I regret that my life has been lived cautiously...

Life is too short for regret. I apologized to my friend for my comment and she just laughed, not taking it seriously for a moment, and in that moment I realized that all my life I took everything too seriously. Now is time for fun....watch out world...here I come...

No comments: